|Image courtesy of Salvatore Vuono|
Why then is this girl, who is planning her dream holiday / trip of a lifetime, constantly crying at the drop of a hat in recent weeks? I really am grateful to be going on this holiday, but I've worked out a few things that are troubling me a bit...
- Leaving mum - I've mentioned previously that my mum turned 80 this year. And well, I chat to her every day on the phone and see her at least a couple of times a week and we're very close. So of course, I worry about leaving her for such an extended period. But I know this trip is something I need to do with my family, and I have her blessing. And I can only pray that I'll be hugging her again, the same as usual, upon my return.
- The long flight - flying has always freaked me out a bit, but I've never been on a plane, in a confined space for more than about 6 hours. That was when I was a lot younger than I am now though. A flight to Bali and another from Tahiti. That's it. And I didn't have health issues to worry about back then. With the medication I'm taking as part of my breast cancer treatment, I have to wear special compression stockings and take asprin, as one of the side effects is blood clots. And because of my breast conservation surgery and removal of all my lymph nodes under my right arm, I have to wear a compression sleeve on that arm. I also have to get up and do exercises every half hour or so...so there goes taking a sleeping tablet to zonk me out! A few people have suggested that, but I'm one of those people who avoid taking panadol, which means anything stronger is not an option for me anyway. So I guess this is where my philosophy of "mind over matter" has to come into play, and I'll just have to keep New York in my sights!
- Hectic schedule - we have a jam-packed itinerary. I don't know when we'll be able to get over there again, so I don't want to miss out an ANYTHING! The only problem is that since having chemotherapy, etc, my energy levels are just not what they used to be. Plus, I have that darn ankle injury (that I don't talk about that much, mainly because I try really hard not to bore you) - I'm "shaking in my walking shoes", worried that I won't be able to keep up with everyone. But again, I must stay positive and if I fall behind a bit, so what? They'll just have to wait for me! I've been in training the last couple of months (walking 6 days a week for exercise), so I may even end up being fitter than the rest of them :)
|Image courtesy of Bath Baby Cakes|
They were my very own concoction and turned out delicious, if I must say so myself. Were they perfect? Well, not quite...but then I'm very fussy in the cupcake department...so not to worry, I'll be resuming my search for the perfect cupcake recipe when I get back from my holiday!
Do try them though, as they may not be perfect, but they're pretty darn close...
Chocolate Mud & Coconut Cupcakes
250g unsalted butter
375g packet Nestle dark chocolate melts
1 1/3 cups castor sugar (I used Xylitol natural sweetener)
1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
3 free range eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place butter and choc melts in heatproof bowl and stir frequently over a saucepan of simmering water on stovetop. Make sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water.
- Place all other ingredients into a mixing bowl and pour in melted butter/choc mixture. Stir to combine, until smooth.
- Spoon into cupcake wrappers in baking tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean when tested. Place on wire rack to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve, or decorate as you please. May also be served warm with ice cream!
|Do you like the "vintage" look to some of my photos? I've been experimenting with the SLR for my trip!|
Well guys, this will be my last post for about 6 weeks - I'm going to miss you a lot. Okay, just a little then...but only because I'M GOING TO NEW YORK BABY!!!!!! So I'll catch you all when I get back. And don't forget me while I'm away, will you? I promise you're going to love my blog posts when I return - I'll have huge amounts to "show & tell", so stay tuned!
I can't wait to discover how Life's like a Cupcake across the other side of this beautiful planet! Be sure to come back and find out - have we got a deal??
Bon Voyage! See you soon!